About Dental Imaging
An initial visit to our dentist usually consists of tests to identify the cause of any dental condition. Procedures during this visit took time and generally required more than one session, but with the advancement of technology in dentistry, our dentist has adopted techniques that are more efficient in helping diagnose any dental issues.
When it comes to dental imaging, modern day techniques have enabled us to obtain better and faster results.
If you are wondering about the ways our staff is adopting these methods, in this article, we will closely look at the various, modern techniques of dental imaging that are now being used at our office to save you time and resources:
An Intraoral Camera is a type of dental imaging equipment which helps in viewing the internal sections of the mouth with improved visibility. This camera provides great convenience in taking internal images of a patient’s mouth.
Some advantages of intraoral Camera include:
● Ergonomically designed hand-pieces to obtain high-quality images
● Single button capturing feasibility, unlike other techniques which require clicking on computer screens
● A hand-piece that can be plugged into a USB port to export images
● More visibility to patients, making them more responsive to recommended treatments
● A time-saving technique that helps take multiple images at once
The intraoral camera offers great feasibility to obtain images from different angles, lessening the likelihood of a misdiagnosis. Our dentist will advise you on the kinds of intraoral cameras our practice offers and which would be best for you.
A digital x-ray replaces the concept of traditional films used in conventional X-rays with advanced, electronic sensors. It is one of the biggest advancements in dental technology.
Below are some great benefits of digital X-rays in comparison to the traditional x-ray:
● Produces less radiation
● Enables our dentist to make a more accurate diagnosis
● Reduces the use of materials or harsh chemicals
● Quicker to use and provides immediate results
● Produces better image results, enabling our dentist to figure out abnormalities in teeth, gums or enamel instantly.
Digital x-rays provide exceptional quality images for our dentist, who is able to adjust the images brightness and contrast accordingly. This technique has become one of the most adopted methods of digital imaging.
Oral Cancer Screening (VELscope)
When detected early, oral cancer is completely treatable. This technology helps identify abnormal tissue development that commonly results in cancer. It also helps inspect abnormal changes in other parts of the mouth, such as the tongue. Oral cancer screening through VELscope is beneficial due to:
● Fast and consistent treatment of cancer affected areas
● Its identification of cancer-related issues at an early stage, unlike other procedures
● Improving the rate of oral tissue survival
● Identification of oral cancer indications which are not visible to the naked eye
VELscope oral cancer screening is a technological tool that has changed the direction of oral cancer treatments worldwide.
Among the most commonly used dental imaging techniques, digital x-rays are useful as they do not expose you to as much radiation as traditional film x-rays. The imaging results helps our dentist identify any growths or abnormalities in the gums, teeth, and enamel with ease.
The x-ray machine connects to a computer that displays images within minutes of being taken. This not only shortens your dental appointment, but also allows our dentist to view the results immediately instead of needing to wait hours or days.
An intraoral camera is a small video camera that takes an image of the outside of the gum or tooth. The intraoral camera resembles an oversized pen. While simultaneously viewing a monitor, the dentist inserts the camera into a patient's mouth and gently shifts it about so that images can be taken from a variety of angles.Read more about Intraoral Camera
If you have any questions about our dental imaging services, please call us at 727-733-3238. Dunedin Dental Care is here to answer any concerns you might have.